COVID-19 VACCINATION UPDATE
Please note that there are two routes to be called for the vaccination:
One is via the national booking service. You will receive a letter based on your age which asks you to book at one of the large hubs. This does not give you the option to book into Measham or the practice.
The second route is via a call or text from us here at the practice. We will invite patients to have their vaccination at the Measham hub or here in the practice. As the practice holds your medical records we can see if you need to be invited because you are in an at-risk group. The national service does not have this information. This is why practices have been asked to focus on at-risk patients rather than calling patients under 65 at the moment.
Because the national service is not inviting any patient from the at-risk group, which is a huge group in terms of numbers, they are able to move on to invite patients in younger cohorts sooner than we can in practice.
This is the reason some patients are receiving an invite from the national service long before we are able to invite them.
Update Wednesday 31st March
We have now tried to contact all our patients aged 50 and above. If you have not had a vaccination and would like one, please call us.
We have started inviting patients to Measham Leisure centre for their second vaccinations.
We are only inviting patients who had their first vaccination there. If you had your first vaccination at another site please return there for your second vaccination.
The system is that each site is given exactly the number of second doses, according to their records of who had a first vaccination there. So if we were to give second vaccinations at Measham to patients who had been elsewhere for their first vaccination, we would be depriving someone who had their first vaccination at Measham of their second dose.
As of Tuesday 9th March
- We are now calling patients in priority group 6, which is all adults aged 16 -65 in an at risk group. This is a huge group of over 1200 patients and so it will take us some time to call you all so please be patient.
- We were calling patients in the 65-69 age group but NHS England has asked us to stop calling those patients and focus on priority group 6 instead. Patients in the 65-69 age group will receive an invitation from the national booking service to attend a vaccination centre.
- We are receiving many phone calls about when patients will be called, this means our staff are busy answering these calls and this is stopping patients with genuine medical needs getting through and diverting our staff from calling patients to invite them. The only time we would like patients to call us is if you are 70 and above and we've been unable to contact you, and you wish to have a vaccination, please call so we can book you in.
- If you are not already on the clinically extremely vulnerable list then it’s unlikely we’ve missed you off as our list has been reviewed several times. Please check the government guidelines about who is in the clinically extremely vulnerable group before calling us.
- We would ask you politely not to call us if you are calling to ask about a Covid vaccination. Instead please wait for our call.
Asthma patients please note:
People with asthma which requires continuous or repeated use of systemic steroids or with previous exacerbations requiring hospital admission, will be vaccinated in priority group 6.
This will include:
- anyone who has ever had an emergency admission asthma admission or;
- those who have an asthma diagnosis and have had 3 prescriptions for oral steroids (not inhalers) over a 3 month period.
▪️ For more information on when you may be called, please follow this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-care-home-and-healthcare-settings-posters/covid-19-vaccination-first-phase-priority-groups
▪️ Please note, these vaccinations will not be carried out at the practice at present, they are taking place at the local vaccination hub at Measham Leisure Centre.
Map showing Measham Leisure Centre
Please see Map of Measham Leisure Centre for the location and postcode of Measham Leisure centre which is our local vaccination hub.
Free travel to the Covid vaccination site at Measham
The following companies have kindly offered to give free transport for patients to take them to Measham Leisure Centre:
CK Cars 01530 542123 or 07738 877712
ADT – 01530 448448
Coalville Yellow Cabs 01530 833800
Information for over 80's who have received letters from the NHS (not the practice) asking them to book Covid Vaccinations
If you are over 80 and have received a letter from the NHS inviting you to book a Covid vaccination online or by calling 119, please do not call us about this.
You are welcome to book your vaccination this way but it is likely you will have to travel some distance. You will also need to return to the same site for your second vaccination.
If you prefer to have your vaccination locally, please wait for us to call you. Please do not call us. We are working our way through our 80 and above patients calling them in and you will get a call very soon.